Mar 4

Remembering Our Friends Memorial in Second Life

Category: Memorials, Support Group by Stone Culdesac

Remembering Our Friends Memorial Overhead

My good friend Stevie Basevi recently lost her SL husband, Andre Willenov, and in her mourning she has found this great place you can go to and remember your loved ones who have passed on in rl. The Remembering Our Friends Memorial is that place, located in the Cassandra region, it is maintained by Mike Burleigh on donations and his own funds, he has built everything and he even makes the plaque for your loved one, like these here.

Remembering Our Friends Memorial

Remembering Our Friends Memorial 2

Here is the one he made for Andre. You can see how much stuff Stevie and her friends could leave in remembrance, this really is a nice place, especially considering it operates only on donations and money out of his pocket.

Remembering Our Friends Memorial Andre’s Plaque

Their motto is simple, “To always honor and remember our fallen friends in sl. To obtain land and create a permanent memorial to all that have passed on from our sl family.”

They have areas for contemplation and some nice gardens.

Remembering Our Friends Memorial Contemplation

Remembering Our Friends Memorial Contemplation 2

Remembering Our Friends Memorial Statue

Remembering Our Friends Memorial Fountain

Second Life URL

Popularity: 5%

9 Comments so far

1. Miranda March 4th, 2008 5:57 am

Fantastic article on a wonderful place where people can go and spend ‘time’ with those they love and miss.
    I know for a fact it’s helped my ‘wifey’ tons!
    And yes, Mike is a great person to provide his time, energy, this amazingly calm, inviting, ‘home’ for us all to use.

2. Stevie Basevi March 4th, 2008 7:32 am

My name is Stevie Basevi. Recently my sl husband passed away, and I was at a loss as to how I would or could mourn him properly. A dear friend found the Remembering Our Friends Memorial site. From the moment I arrived there, I met Mike Burleigh, the caretaker, and he was very supportive of what I was going through. I think its a great thing that we have a special place in sl where we can mourn the passing of our sl friends, family, relationships, as we may not have the support in rl from our family and friends to do so. Every week Mike holds a candlelight vigil, where we gather, and talk about our loved ones. I come to the site daily, and have met, and made friends with others also mourning their loved ones. Its amazing that Mike does all of this by himself. The maintenance, making the plaques, and spending time with each and every person who comes by, or wanders in. He spends much of his own money for the land and landscaping, and relys on donations, to make sure that anyone who wants their loved one remembered will have a place. I think that this is a very important service for us to have in sl, and will do everything that I can to do to help keep Remembering Our Friends alive.

3. Mike Burleigh March 4th, 2008 9:01 am

Tysm for your nice comments..It has been a pleasure working on this project.. Its amazing how many people have lost friends from sl in rl.. Its nice to be here and be counted on to help people deal with the loss of a loved one. Sometimes we forget that behind our avies there are actually real people. If you know someone from sl that has passed rl please send me a notecard in world with their name and a few words and i will have a plaque made up for them free of charge (polly cassidy makes the textures for the plaques at no charge usually within a couple of hours) Everyone is welcome here the goal is to eventually get everyone who has passed rl here at the memorial. Rhapsody rutherford is working on a website to tie into this. ty all who have contributed funds,or xtra tier for land,or services ,or your time to this project. please im me in world or email me at mikeburleigh@comcast.net. ty again for this nice article..mike b

4. Loch March 4th, 2008 11:42 am

Places like this demonstrate what virtual worlds can do for people. Thank you for building and maintaining it.

5. Bellamy McCulloch March 4th, 2008 6:30 pm

The Memorial has helped my SL sister keep the love of her Andre alive. She tells me when she has gone to ‘visit’ him , and makes me happy to know she has somewhere in Secondlife where she can still connect to him. I think places like Remembering our Friends are such a valuable and beautiful neccisity…Thank you Mike for helping Stevie and so many others with the pain of their loss, and helping them move forward without forgetting their loved ones.

6. Vinny Matfield March 5th, 2008 7:30 am

I am very glad Stevie was able to find a place to mourn her loss. Remembering our Friends is a very beautiful place. Thank you Mike for your time and efforts that have helped one of my best friends and one of the greatest people I know.

7. Selina March 5th, 2008 1:31 pm

Thank you Mike for creating such an amazing place for all of us. It helps to have a place that we can go to make sure our friends are remembered and that we can go and spend time thinking about all they meant to us and the memories. While I was placing something down for Andre, I looked around at all the different memorials. I was slightly surprised but i shouldn’t have been. I found a memorial for a woman I never got to meet, but my friends still talk of how wonderful and amazing she was. Thank you again. This offers much more than I think even most people realize. For those of us that cannot be there, here we can be.

Blessings

8. [...] can make a memorial for your inworld loved ones and friends who have passed on in RL, in this post Remembering Our Friends Memorial in Second Life. Linden Lab has decided to make April 17th Remembrance Day for everyone who has lost a loved one or [...]

9. Xanadu Vought April 27th, 2008 6:45 am

I am glad to see that others see a niche for grief and mourning on sl. What an awesome idea. I’d like to mention that I have constructed a Wailing Wall on sl for those who are grieving as well. The idea is a bit different, it is not a place to leave an eternal memorial, nor is it specifically for those who have lost someone in rl on sl. Instead it is a peaceful spot to sit and grieve, pray, meditate or comfort a friend. The wall accepts self-created notecards that are immediately deleted. The idea is to allow The Wailing Wall to bear away your burden. To find it, type Wailing Wall in the sl search.