Archive for the 'Building' Category
The New Media Consortium is looking for some unique learning experiences in Second Life and they are giving away $100,000 to get them. Here is a link to the official press reselease: press release.
The NMC is committed to pushing the boundaries of how we collectively view teaching and learning in virtual space. The NMC Virtual Learning Prize is envisioned as a way to surface and realize creative ideas for how to make optimal use of a virtual setting, using a process that provides recognition, financial incentives, professional development services, and a return for education as a whole.
“Projects funded under the NMC Virtual Learning Prize program will be those that make learning fresh or novel, or that illustrate concepts that are usually very difficult to teach,” explains Dr. Larry Johnson, NMC’s CEO and director of NMC Virtual Worlds. “We are seeking immersive learning experiences in particular, as well as tools that support the craft of teaching. We hope to see a number of proposals with broad applicability across disciplines as that will allow us to maximize the reach of the shared resources that are to be developed under this program.” Source: NMC Announces $100,000 in Virtual Learning Prizes
How to Apply
Proposals should be detailed enough to fully communicate the vision and ideas behind the proposal; images or sketches may be included if they will help the reviewers visualize the experience or product.
Please download the Virtual Learning Prize Application Form to complete your submission. Your application must include the following information, as specified in the form:
- 100-word abstract;
- Title and description of the learning experience or teaching tool/resource;
- Essential characteristics or features that make this idea especially suitable within a virtual space;
- Key outcomes for the participant in this experience or the user of this tool;
- Discussion of the applicability of the experience or tool to a variety of disciplines and courses; and
- Author contact information — name, title, institution, email, address, phone, and avatar name.
Proposals will be accepted at any time until all funds are disbursed for the 2008-9 award year, but proposals received by June 16, 2008 will have the greatest chance of being funded, as that is the date upon which the review of proposals will begin. Proposals should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. Questions should be directed to the same address.
Popularity: 12%No comments
From a group notice, here is the Sunbelt University Class Schedule for April 21st to April 27th. I’ve heard some good comments about their classes so check em out.
April 22nd Jewelry class is canceled. Teacher is on break.
April 27th, 12pm slt - class limit 15
Sunbelt Uni: Level 2 Class - Sculpted Attachments (Sculptypaint 3)
Sponsored by Sunbelt
Learn how to create shoes, cuffs and a scarf in Sculptypaint. This class is part 3 of the basic and advanced Sculptypaint classes held at NCI.
April 27th Scripting 103 Class at 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm! Fun!
Popularity: 8%No comments
I just got back from the Hospital of the Future in Second Life, Palomar West, I think I am about a pound lighter after the experience. This place will be something else and if it is truly like this in rl, it will certainly draw people to the area looking for better healthcare. The virtual version has a GREAT walk through demo of what it will be like, taking you through the room, surgery and recovery, it is definitely worth checking out.
This is the main lobby, make sure you have updated your version of QuickTime to the latest, I had not upgraded mine when I first got there and couldn’t get the bracelet that you need to try it out.
I need to have my gall bladder removed, Oh Noes!
This is my Doctor, Dr. ummm, I forget, I should try to remember that.
Popularity: 13%1 comment
Interesting Press Release from Cisco, I’ll definitely be checking this place out.
PPH and Cisco Offer First Glimpse of Advanced Building Design and Connected Hospital Technologies in Online Virtual World
ORLANDO, Fla. - HIMSS CONFERENCE - Feb. 25, 2008 - Cisco and Palomar Pomerado Health today cut the ribbon on a new hospital in the online virtual world “Second Life.” The virtual hospital, a simulation of a real-world hospital campus due to open in 2011, gives visitors the opportunity to tour the hospital years before its doors actually open
The virtual hospital showcases the rich assortment of design and technology innovations planned for the real-world Palomar West Medical Campus in San Diego, Calif., and to gather feedback that will be used to enhance the way that care is delivered. The immersive quality of “Second Life” allows visitors to experience the progressive nature-embracing design of the hospital firsthand. Visitors will also be able to experience Connected Hospital technologies that will be delivered in the real hospital by Cisco.
Highlights of the virtual Palomar West include:
- Cisco TelePresence. Visitors are welcomed to Palomar West in “Second Life” by a virtual receptionist appearing via Cisco TelePresence, a new technology that uses high-definition video and spatial audio to create unique “in person” experiences via the network.
- Advanced Robotics. The simulation shows Palomar West’s operating rooms, which include advanced robotics and functional imaging systems capable of supporting medical procedures spanning interventional radiology, cardiovascular surgery, urology and gastroenterology. An advanced surgical cockpit, from where a surgeon can manipulate robotic systems remotely while viewing vital signs and functional imaging information in real time, is also featured.
- Communication and Collaboration. The simulation shows how the Cisco Unified Communications system facilitates smooth patient and clinician communication. For example, a radiologist can locate specialists, contact them on their phones, laptops or PDAs, and initiate a desktop collaboration session to review and consult on patient scan images thanks to the network that links picture archiving systems with communications tools.
- 3D Holographic Medical Imaging. Palomar West will feature mobile, remote-controlled, 3D holographic whole-body multimodality medical imaging systems that can be directed into any patient room.
- Connected Real Estate. In the real Palomar West, all building, communication, IT, and clinical systems will be converged onto a single Cisco Medical-Grade Network. The simulation shows how nearly all aspects of a patient’s stay (including ventilation, air conditioning, lighting, security, fire and life safety, digital devices, and signage) will be monitored and managed via applications running on a single network, freeing up clinicians to focus on providing the very best care.
- Visibility and Tracking Solutions. Visitors are guided through Palomar West by radio frequency-enabled sensors that enhance security and safety through patient tracking, and that protect hospital property by tracking equipment in real time.
Construction of the real-world $811 million Palomar Medical Center West campus is due to be completed in 2011. The new facility is designed to positively transform the traditional healthcare experience that is normally associated with staying or working in a hospital.
In addition to embracing the latest connected health technologies, Palomar West has been physically designed to provide a high-performance healing environment through a constant connection with nature. Outdoor features of the campus showcased in the “Second Life” simulation include garden spaces, areas for dining, meeting or relaxing; a pedestrian path and garden connecting all buildings; a green roof bringing gardens up onto the building, with views from patient rooms; and garden terraces on the nursing floor.
Palomar West in “Second Life” also provides visitors with a view of the design of individual patient rooms on the new Palomar West campus. Features of these rooms will include:
- Same-handed, acuity-adaptable rooms and cross-discipline interventional procedure/operating rooms. Acuity-adaptable rooms can be transformed, even if a patient’s condition changes, without having to move patients from unit to unit. Any necessary equipment can be brought into the room on an as-needed basis, further reducing the need for patient transport.
- Each patient room is designed with a nursing station immediately outside the room, so the intensity of service can be adjusted as needed.
- Every room in Palomar West is single occupancy and identical in layout and design. This maximizes efficiency and minimizes medical errors.
About Palomar Pomerado Health
Palomar Pomerado Health, California’s largest public health district, is North County’s most comprehensive health care delivery system, recognized for clinical excellence in cardiac care, women’s services, bariatric surgery, cancer, orthopedics, trauma, rehabilitation and behavioral health services. Facilities include Palomar Medical Center, Pomerado Hospital, Villa Pomerado, Palomar Continuing Care Center, Escondido Surgery Center, Palomar Pomerado Behavioral Health Services and Palomar Pomerado Home Care.
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. For information about Cisco Connected Health technologies, visit www.cisco.com/go/healthcare
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo and Cisco Systems are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
Popularity: 8%1 comment
From the notecard:
Adventure Island is holding a competition for the best bugs, insects, and creepy crawlies. Fire up your prims and win 50,000 Lindens! Second Life URL.
Here are the rules:
- Use your imagination to create insects or bugs that would fit into a jungle environment. The environment tends towards realistic but whimsical, fanciful, crazy and creepy submissions are welcome.
- You MUST join the Adventure Island group to enter the contest. This is for the purposes of communicating with those who enter.
- Bugs should measure no more than .2 meters in any direction and should have no more than 25 prims. Submissions may be scripted or animated but see the point system below - scripting and animation is not a major criteria for judging, although may be eligible for bonus points.
- Send a full perm copy to Dusan Writer before 12:00 noon SL time on February 22nd, 2008.
- Judging will take place no later than February 28th. A date and time for judging will be announced by February 22nd and contestants will have the opportunity to attend.
- There is no limit to the number of entries, but you will only be eligible to receive one cash prize.
Prizes are as follows:
First place 50,000 Lindens
Second place 20,000 Lindens
Third place 10,000 Lindens
Fourth place to 25th place 1,000 Lindens each
- A panel of judges will score the entries. Judges will be asked NOT to view the creator names during the judging process. Each judge will separately score the entries. The entries will then be tabulated by both Dusan Writer and an independent party.
- Scoring will be in the following categories, each worth 1 to 5 points:
Prim work (including, though not required, use of tiny prims, sculpts, or highly detailed work)
Texture or color
Appropriateness for “jungle” theme
- Up to 3 bonus points may be awarded at the discretion of the judge for scripting, animation, or unique features.
By submitting your entry you are also agreeing to allow Dusan Writer and/or his appointees to use your creation for the purposes of display, promotion, and as part of environments, sims, and other purposes. You are providing an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license for this use and also agree that Dusan Writer can modify and copy without restriction.
You will RETAIN the full rights to your creation including the right to sell it, copy it, or give it away.
Dusan Writer agrees not to sell your creation or give it away without your express consent and binds his employees and delegates to same.
If you have any questions, please do NOT IM…because of IM limitations, please submit questions in a notecard to Dusan Writer.
Thanks and have fun with the prims!
Adventure Island 2008
Popularity: 5%No comments
Just cruising around tonight and noticed a sim called Microsoft, and I don’t remember off the top of my head if I had ever read about Microsoft having an Island anywhere, so I thought I would check it out. It is near the MillionsofUs sims, Texas Instruments, Intel, some programmer coves, the Pontiac sims and the GossipGirl sims, which is where I got started tonight, don’t ask.
Anyway, this Island was nothing special, had the usual cool places to sit around and talk, a sandbox, which I did see some builders in, talked to Wisdom Streeter, who actually works for Microsoft and he said they have meetings on Saturdays, join the .NET Developers group inworld to get the updates. This place at the moment looks more like a fancy meeting area, but the notecard does say it’s still under construction.
Popularity: 3%No comments
Derrek Pain im’d me tonight to let me know about the Amour Amusement Park XMas Contest, they hold a contest every couple of months I’m told and right now it is the Christmas Build contest. Every competitor gets a 1024 lot with 234 prims each, it must be original, nothing can be for sale and no ban lines. If only we could make those rules in real life, er, I mean in Second Life, ban lines suck. Prize money will be at least 10,000 lindens spread over the first three places
These snowmen from Calvin and Hobbes are great, makes me want to build a couple armies of them and throw em together to see what happens.
Here is Derrek’s lot.
The other side of Derrek’s lot has a nativity scene, so it has the snowmen and Santa on one side and Jesus on the other.
Popularity: 5%No comments
What: NCI Class: Textures 3 - Water Effects
When: Dec 2, 2007 11:00 am - 12:30 pm (Sunday)
Where: Tornado Second Life
Tags: Afon Shepherd Education learning science Second Life Tornado
Description: NCI Class: Textures 3 - WATER EFFECTS Instructor: Protomas Ludwig Location: Sky Class, Castle Elemental When: Sunday, 11am to 12:30pm, 1.5 hours
Pre-requisite: Building 1 - Basics, Scripting 1 - Basics
Learn to work with water in Second Life. This class is a smorgasbord of information in which you will learn building, texturing and scripting tips enabling you to create streams, fountains, pools and other watery builds.
This class includes a freebie pack with everything you need to get started working with water effects.
Popularity: 6%No comments
What: TUi NEO Level 3: Gazebo with chimes
When: Nov 28, 2007 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm (Wednesday)
Tags: Education Hempz Rebel learning Second Life Technical User interfacing
Description: TUi NEO LVL3: Gazebo with chimes Instructor: Hempz Rebel Duration: 1 hour Prerequisites (if any): Able to complete LVL 3 courses
Clear night.. sparkling midnight sky. The walk, just the two of you as you spot a beautiful gazebo in the distance. The closer you move toward it the louder the lovely chimes are heard from the midnight breeze. You spot a pose ball, you sit, lean back and relax…. .. so nice. Come on to TUi and make your own gazebo with all textures, scripts complete with poseballs and animations are included.
In the process, learn the basics of several key features of building in Second Life:? - Creating, resizing, and rotating prims - Texturing and coloring prims - Prim linking order - Script placement.
Popularity: 5%No comments
What: TUi NEO LVL3: prim animation
When: 10pm SLT November 17, 2007
Where: Located in Polarity
Description: Have you ever wanted to animate prims, be it flapping wings a simple door or a full stop motion animation sequence? Well then this is the class for you. In this class we will learn to use the helpful puppeteer software this software allows users to move prims with out having to learn to script. This is a level 3 class and you will need to be able to rez, move, link prims and know your way around the build menu. LVL 3, Class Cost : Free & Puppeteer free edition software available in the class room. Please note spaces are limited.
Popularity: 6%No comments
What: TUi After Dark
When: 11pm SLT
Where: TUI AD
Description: PLEASE NOTE: This class deals with explicit subject matter that could upset people who are offended by things of a sexual nature. TUi After Dark classes are intended for those who are not. Please bring your maturity with you, and your sense of humor. No child avatars are allowed. Eyes dropped down, a look of intensity across the face that vanishes quickly and then the word nadu passes across sweet lips. But why the intense look? Because the floor hurts! Come to TUi After Dark and create sub cushions so next time the look on that face is as pleasing as the position. This is an INTERMEDIATE level course. Cost is 0L.
TUi After Dark ~ We do it for the LUST of teaching!
Popularity: 5%No comments
What: TUI NEO Level 1 Building- Basic Prim Alignment Part 1
When: Nov 10, 2007 9:00 am - 10:00 am (Saturday)
Tags: Education learning Second Life Shay Ellison Technical User interfacing
Description: Technincal User Interfacing (TUi) Learning Opportunity in our TUi NEO Classes Instructor: Shay Ellison Cost: free LVL 1 Basic Prim Alignment
Trying to get your walls lined with your floor? Trying to remove those unsightly seams or overlap? Think there’s an easier way that doesn’t require complex math or difficult to use alignment tools? Come down to TUi and learn how to use the existing tools in SL to make your prims move exactly where YOU want them to be. Whether it’s a mansion or a piece of furniture, we’ll show you how to get that perfect alignment with no seams.
Part 1 will introduce the tools available in SL for prim alignment.
Focus of class: Building Prerequisites: none, but knowledge of camera controls are helpful Duration: 1 hour Products included in class: none.
Popularity: 5%No comments